In a UK Telegraph article written several years back, it was stated that dogs are actually as intelligent as 2 year old children. Well friends, I am here to tell you that not only might I agree with that, but also, I might even gander to say that 20 month olds might actually be hairless dogs. Because really, the similarities are endless.
The more time I spend with the almost two year old in my house, the more I am convinced that dogs and toddlers are really same/same.
Don’t believe me? Well…
1. Just like a dog begging for scraps, floor food is no match for the grips of the 20 month old. Don’t even think about picking up a broom. And if you do, be prepared for him to rummage through the pile.
2. The only sound both dogs and my 20 month old make is woof. No seriously, the toddler we currently have under our roof says very little outside of the occasional barking noise when he spies a pup.
3. Similar to the way your pup might try to vie for your attention, the 20 month old will paw and climb on your legs. Ours will reach up with his mitts and pat at my legs until I give him what he wants. And what he wants is to be picked up. All the live long day.
4. Both two year olds’ and dogs’ bellies are probably full of foreign objects. I have a friend who recently shared a story about her dog’s stomach being full of pacifiers that he had ingested over time. The other day, the 20 month old coughed and out popped a Lego head. I can’t imagine what else he has managed to sneak in between his lips without me seeing.
5. They both poop crouching down. The 20 month old crouches a bit, grunts a few times, and then looks up at me and pats his diaper. The dog I grew up did basically the same. Sans diaper, of course.
6. Sometimes dogs just want to be snuggled. Just like your 20 month old may just wanna lay in your lap and let you pet them. Because life as a 20 month old and as a puppy can be pretty exhausting.
7. They both paw at the door when they want fresh air. The 20 month old stands by the door and
scratches pats at it until I take notice and put it ajar for him to sniff the fresh air and feel the sunrays on his face.
8. Both love having kids around to play with them. When the biggers are home, the 20 month old has the energy of a 6 week old puppy. When they are not, he is much more interested in how I will entertain him.
9. A dog and a 20 month old are always happy when you come home. Because they miss you when you are away!
10. The noses of both are constantly wet or moist. Due to pearly whites pushing up his gums, the 20 month old’s nose is always a little bit drippy and wet, and leaves a trail of ickiness on my pant leg when he’s paw at me. Same with the neighborhood furkids.
11. Both will rummage through your cupboard and eat anything they can find. Seriously. Anything. And anything they don’t eat, they leave in their wake, crunched all over the floor.
12. Fetch will entertain either endlessly. Again, they just want you to play with them. And if that means you throwing a ball and them retrieving it for the forty second time, they are up for the challenge.
13. And of course, both dogs and toddlers love you unconditionally. Because they don’t know anything different.
And I’m sure the list goes on and on. So the next time your two year old throws himself on the floor in hysterics, maybe just try scratching him behind the ears and taking him out for a walk… just make sure you avoid the leash. People frown on using those with the hairless pups.